What's your Meyers-Briggs type?

In yesterday’s chat with @emilyperron, she talked about using personality types like the Myers-Briggs to help with hiring.

I thought it’d be fun to start a thread where we talk ALL about our types and we think it helps or hinders us in our work life!

Here’s the link to a free test that she shared:
https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
(If you are new to it, try taking it twice or search Google for another test and see if you get the same thing!)

3 Likes

I’m an INFJ-T (Advocate). Reading through the description almost gave me permission to accept certain things about myself. Advocates have a tireless need to help people succeed and this makes so much sense! I get frustrated with myself often. It’s like… WHY can’t I just be happy food blogging? Why do I need to host a podcast, too? It helps so much to know it’s wired in me!

Also, I learned that advocates aren’t the best employees, which helps me understand why I sucked so bad in the corporate world. :slight_smile:

@BethanySmith I’m curious to hear more about your type!

1 Like

Well, I’m an INTJ…that test Emily posted, added the “T” on the end of mine also, but that’s the first time I’ve seen that addition. Typically it’s just those first four letters.

I’ve been mildly obsessed with the Meyers Briggs for a long time…so I almost have too much info :slight_smile: Which, actually is a thing about my type. I love getting more and more information, and once I have it then I’ll make decisions.

It’s typically called the “Architect” as we are really good at building systems. I can typically take lots of information and either condense it to make sense, or organize it so a business/system flows well.

I’m also not always great in the corporate world, especially if it’s a top-down environment. I have a hard time doing things that seem like they have no rhyme or reason.

The write-up said, “Architects value innovation and effectiveness more than just about any other quality. They are happy to throw aside the chain of command in favor of effective workflow, recognizing that artificial respect for their authority isn’t necessarily going to bring about good results.”

haha, sounds like me!

But, yes, whenever I read through these profiles, I always find some comfort in knowing that this is just how I AM, and there are some others like me lurking out there too :slight_smile:

It’s interesting that our letters are just one different, the T/F - which means I tend to make decisions by thinking/research, etc and you will make them more with emotions/feeling. BUT, it’s not always that cut and dry, as my type is also highly intuitive, so sometimes I base decisions on my intuition. I guess that’s more on how I think others are feeling rather than how I feel.

There are lots of resources and books and so on about this topic, so you can dive in as much as you want!

1 Like

WOW! So interesting! I think you and I operate in much the same way @BethanySmith especially in business… appreciating systems, innovation and organization. Everything you wrote out seems to describe you so well!

I somehow love that the difference between us is that I make decisions from feeling and you from facts. I think that makes us a good balance! We have the same motives but are guided a little bit differently. We’ve got our bases covered! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing all of this!

1 Like

Ok ladies, I love what you’re sharing about your type…so here’s mine!

I’m an ISFJ-T Defender. When I initially was reading through the description, I wasn’t convinced it was me. But as I dove into the different avenues of life (personal, career, romantic, friendships, workplace, etc) it really broke it down and made more sense. I’m a worker bee, like to complete my job, help others to do the same, making deadlines and completing projects. Defenders tend to use networking skills to help keep things running smoothly vs helping them grow in their position, I’ve been guilty of that!

“Defender personalities (especially Turbulent ones) are often meticulous to the point of perfectionism, and though they procrastinate, they can always be relied on to get the job done on time. Defenders take their responsibilities personally, consistently going above and beyond, doing everything they can to exceed expectations and delight others, at work and at home.” I

Also, the word Turbulent (that T after my first four initials) seemed like a negative so I was taken aback! But then I read it’s description and it also made more sense.

2 Likes

I’m an INFJ too! I pretty much check all the boxes haha.

2 Likes

I think this describes you perfectly! I was reading through the thorough description of your type (ha! “your” type!) and thought so much of it fit you so well.

Wow Sandie, so cool! A fellow INFJer! I think I read that we make up less than 1% of the population, so there aren’t many of us out there.

Took two tests, I got ISTJ and ENTJ…From the descriptions ENTJ (The commander) seemed like a better fit (but I’ve never been able to figure out if I’m an introvert or an extrovert. I love to be the center of attention and parties, but I hate crowds, don’t love strangers, and I often feel tired after parties…haha) People laugh when I say I’m shy or reserved because I tend to just jump in and start talking but mostly because the silence makes me uncomfortable.

I actually prefer the ennegram test to this one because I feel like it hits me spot on (and I get the same result every time) I’m an ennegram type 3 (The Achiever)

2 Likes

I think the way you just described yourself makes for the perfect podcast host, in my opinion, @Amanda! I haven’t taken the ennegram test in years… I should do it again. I can’t remember what I am!

It would be a fun topic on here! A lot of people are really liking it right now! …and yes, podcasting is great since I get to talk to lots of people from the comfort of my own home in my jammies!! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

This should probably go in a different thread, but I’d love to have a chat with you @Amanda about how you are balancing blogging and podcasting. I’m struggling with this right now! I’ve started creating courses, too, and I’m loving it but it is soooo much to do it all. I feel like I have a million spinning plates in the air right now. :tired_face:

Oh my heck there is no balance. I honestly don’t blog a ton anymore (just one or two recipes/month) and then I publish my weekly shownotes to my blog. Since my goal in the long-run is a course I try not to get too bent out of shape about how little I’m doing in other areas. I have a few tasks each week that are “non-negotiable” (like the podcast actually coming out, emailing my list, etc…) and I try to be okay with other things not happening. I’m also working hard to find help…but yes, it is so much to juggle! and you guys put out two podcasts a week and do so many more interviews (the majority of my shows are solo which makes it easy to batch and get a bunch done!)

2 Likes

I’m an INFJ for sure. I am definitely the Advocate, as I like to see others succeed. When I was younger I wanted to be an Architect which is INTJ and can be rather systematic. That way I don’t miss anything! Haha
INFJ’s are natural sponges for other’s emotions, so we need to have our own space to regroup. Tried as I might, I could not withstand my government job! Not the best fit for creative types with an entrepreneurial bent.
I’ve seen ENTJ and INFJ make natural friends and I’ve found that to be the case.

1 Like

@CatalystCooks How interesting! There’s so much that we can pull from doing these tests. I love it!

I just took this test and came out an INFP-T. I’m not at all surprised! I’m usually right in the middle of I/E but NFP are always the same. It’s so interesting to read through the info right now because it’s reminding me of some positive things I tend to forget about myself and it’s explaining why I’m struggling with a few things right now, like being 110% over social media lol!

1 Like

It’s a good reminder for us, right @Cate ? I think it’s valuable to review periodically.

1 Like