What does family think you do?

One of the fun :face_with_raised_eyebrow: things around the holidays is trying to explain what you actually do for work to friends and family. So, what do you say? How do you explain it? What does your family think you actually do? :wink:

2 Likes

I LOVE this question because I’ve never figured out a good answer! I’d love what other people have to say about this.

I’ve always said “food blogger” but nobody knows what that means and it doesn’t explain what I actually do AT ALL. “Entrepreneur” is way too broad. I love how Jessica Gavin explains her job and I’ve considered using this myself, which is “food media entrepreneur.” It just sounds so fun and important!

1 Like

This applies more to strangers than family, but it always depends 100% on how much I like you or feel like talking, haha. If I’m busy or don’t feel like talking I say “I’m a programmer” since that shuts down most conversations. If I’m interested then I’ll usually go with “I write cookbooks” since most people love to talk about that.

If it really comes down to it, I have no idea either…my wife jokes that my job title should be Media Mogul, but that feels just a taddddd pretensions to say to family! Ultimately I’m an entrepreneur and small business owner focused in the cooking and food education space, but that’s pretty dry.

3 Likes

@jasonlogsdon that is hilarious. “How much I like you and feel like talking…” :joy: :joy: I’m going to start telling everyone I’m an accountant. Media Mogul is cool, too. :smile: