Web Stories

Well after listening to podcast #167 for the 3rd time, I did it, I created my first web story. I downloaded the plugin like you suggested Megan. It does have a bit of a learning curve and I could have taken more time to make it all shined up but … I’m giving myself permission to ignore perfection in 21. So, here it is COWBOY CANDY JALAPENOS! | Intentional Hospitality
Megan, I would love a link to yours. I have never seen one before so I felt blind going into this but am excited to watch analytics to see if it does anything like Casey suggested.
Gina

5 Likes

@Ginainga It looks AMAZING! Nice work! And yes, I think we all need to set perfection aside with creating web stories. Here is a link to the one I created: Stories Archive - pipandebby.com
I cannot figure out why mine doesn’t display like yours does, as well as others I’ve seen. :confused:

Also, I wish I’d mentioned this in the episode, but I really love Brita’s web stories from Food With Feeling. Check hers out! They’re awesome!

wow, Food With Feeling has been at it for a while. I guess I need to just add this to my list of things to do once a post is published. it would be easier that way because the pics pull right up in my media. I didn’t like how I had to search for them in the wp media area. it would be easier in different grid formate.

Also a question. I noticed on my web-stories page it’s only text. is there a setting i missed to have the front cover show up on my site’s page?

1 Like

Also found this to read over…someday…lol

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I see that now! I’d play around with the settings a bit and see what you can tweak. I tried everything to get my story to appear in lightbox format (like yours), but could not figure it out. :man_shrugging:

I’m thinking a podcast episode might be in order where we dig into this document. (Otherwise I never will… ha!)

@Ginainga, your web story looks awesome. I did the first step, installed the plugin, and made page 1. Still have a lot to figure out. So I plan to work on that next week.

@megan I saw Britas ones: they are really good. I’m a little worried about uploading videos to my hosting. For now, I’ll stick to just photos.

I found a couple of youtube videos explaining how to create one:
How to Create Google Web Stories: Full Tutorial - YouTube (tutorial)
How to Create Google Web Stories - YouTube (food, diy)

2 Likes

@nbelgrave I’m writing this exhausted and I cannot remember who told me this (Casey Markee maybe?), but stick with photos vs. videos inside web stories.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize this. will start doing just pics

The web stories are looking good! I haven’t taken the time to do one as of yet.
I like that you are using process shots in them. Gives those pictures another use and doesn’t create more work for you.

2 Likes

@eatlikenooneelse Exactly! Another way to repurpose the process shots that drive a lot of food bloggers a little bit crazy! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This looks amazing Gina! I need to figure out how to create these.

Where do you post these? Pinterest? Google? Instagram?

1 Like

@kitjen Web stories reside on your blog and automatically pop up at xxx.com/web-stories/ after they’re created. Find the plugin called “web stories” on Wordpress to create your first one!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I run my blog on Squarespace, not Wordpress. I’ll have to find an alternative, thank you so much!

1 Like

@kitjen I just did a google search and SS doesn’t support web stories right now, but maybe that takes one thing off your plate that you “have to” do??

1 Like

You’re right, it’s one less thing to do for now. Thank you for letting me know! :heart:

1 Like

Do you remember why photos? I mean that is much easier for me, but I thought Google recommends 15 second videos when possible for more interaction. My problem with the videos is that they would take up more space on the blog.

Funny tho because I had got the new Samsung phone (21 ultra) because the camera specs were AMAZING and it has a feature where it takes 15 second videos called single takes and adds music to it for you. Are they working with Google on this?? Haven’t taken any food videos with it yet, but did get the dogs playing in the snow :rofl:

They are around 24MB in size tho (might be because of outside and moving with the dogs too tho.) I have only started to try video so I don’t know a good file size for videos yet.

1 Like

@thekitchenandalatte I hadn’t heard that Google was recommending 15-second videos. I’m curious about that! I’ve heard from two sources NOT to include videos because they will slow down your site. I’d love to hear the case Google is making for using videos and why.