Video - what direction is it going?

I was just going back and listening to episode 29. She mentioned that video is changing, no more of a hands in the bowl food shots. Just wondering what everybody’s opinion is on the Direction video is going. I want to start but I don’t want to waste my time doing the wrong thing
Gina

3 Likes

I’ve heard a lot of people say that the future of video is more long form and with more personality. So more YouTube hosted style.
I think it’s true that the one-minute hands and pans format has less impact on Facebook, for instance, than it used to. However personally, I still find a lot of value in these videos.
First because they have had a big impact on my RPM (they represent over 30% of my total ad revenue). And also because they’ve done really well for me on Pinterest, which I think a lot of people underestimate. Yes the CTR sucks, but the reach is HUGE, so even at less than half the clickthrough of a regular pin, it’s still worth it to me!
Honestly, in an ideal world I’d do both! And some people pull it off. I’m just not that efficient :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think there is still value in the hands-in-pans style, but it definitely seems to be evolving. Anything you can do to make your videos unique (whether long form or Tasty style) is key. Capture an incredible hero shot, be quirky or unique in some way, etc.

I haven’t been producing videos all summer, but toward the end of winter we started filming in a different way (cutting off my head, basically) and doing voiceover that talked through details about the recipe but not steps to make the recipe. I LOVE this style and once I get back into doing video again I’d love to do more of this.

4 Likes

I’m still trying to figure things out, but here’s my two cents. Some platforms such as pinterest and instagram prefer one minute videos for feeds, so I think “hands in pans” videos are still relevant there. If that’s where people are getting lots of traffic from, I wouldn’t give that up yet. However, I also think people like to personality and relatability with some face time with the actual creator.

4 Likes

I agree with Alexis. I think you can use the tasty style videos for pins or part of Instagram videos. You could also reuse some of the footage and create a longer video with yourself in it, making an intro and recording voice over. I haven’t tried it yet, but this is what I want to try. Also, maybe merging related videos, showing more than one recipe.

3 Likes

I love that you have the boys in the video. this gives me some ideas to incorporate

2 Likes