Vegetable stock recipe?

I’m looking to link to a recipe showing how to make vegetable stock, ideally one that uses asparagus stocks. (or if you have a more creative use for the woody bottom of asparagus would love that too!) I’m writing instructions for prepping asparagus for a recipe and would like to link to an alternative to discarding / composting the part not used for my recipe.

There are a ton of recipe options out there for vegetable stock, so it really just depends on what you’re looking for. For a basic veggie stock, all you need is some chopped up vegetables (onion, celery, carrots, garlic, asparagus), water and some seasonings (salt, pepper, herbs). You can also add in things like mushrooms, leeks, tomatoes or even turnips for extra flavor.

Simply simmer everything together until the veggies are soft and then strain everything out. Voila – delicious vegetable stock! Use it in soups, stews or anywhere else you might use chicken or beef stock. Enjoy!

Is there a reason you are looking to incorporate asparagus specifically?

There are so many bloggers with great veggie stock recipes so I just wanted to know the reasoning for that veggie.

Melissa

I see @CenturyFoodsns circled back to an old query of mine. As I noted there, I was looking to suggest an alternative to discarding the woody asparagus stocks, which I don’t typically use in an asparagus recipe such as I was working on.

Sure! If you aren’t composting, using them in stock makes a lot of sense.

I found this recommendation about using asparagus ends:

1 Like

I am not so sure about woody asparagus stock. But, you can use the woody ends of asparagus for making soup.
Here is a simple recipe for asparagus soup that uses the woody ends:

1. The very 1st step is to boil the asparagus ends. Add enough water so that that water level around 1 inch above the asparagus ends. Then let it simmer on the stove for around 4 minutes.You can also pressure cooker it for around 15 minutes.

2. After boiling, blend the asparagus ends to turn it into puree. The asparagus will be soft enough so that you can easily blend it.
    Pass the puree through a strainer to obtain the asparagus broth.

3. Take another pot and fry some onions and potatoes in vegetable oil for about 10 minutes until they turn golden brown. Do occasionally stir the vegetables.

4. Add the broth to the vegetables and simmer again for abour 20-3o mintures until the potatoes are soft enough to blend.

5. Blend the mixture well.

6. Add lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. You can also add cream to it.

There you go! A healthy soup that uses asparagus ends!

2 Likes

Thanks! Will check it out!

1 Like