Tasty/Hands in Pans Videos

Hi everyone, this is my first post :-). I am new and want to really take a stab at video’s for my blog. After surveying my audience it was loud and clear what they want more of is me. OMG that sounds so pompous but I TRULY don’t mean it too. What they said is they love my quirky personality and that this is one of the reasons they follow me. I do not know how to do that with a tasty/hands in pan video? Do I do voice over? Do I do a video at the start and not do voice over because of all the ADA stuff going on? I am not sure I even know how to do a tasty video. Do you have a trainings you find really helped you with these video’s. Is one minute still something to strive for? I tried that and I could not talk quick enough lol. I am just a little stuck with the whole tasty/hands in pans way to do it. I really appreciate any and all advice. TIA. Judy

2 Likes

Hi Judy! WELCOME!!

I don’t think it sounds pompous AT ALL to say that your readers want more of you. I think all of our readers want US on some level. And I think it’s great that they want to see you more.

You could experiment with a few different methods that will showcase your personality through tasty style videos!

• You could do a voiceover intro and talk through the things you love about the recipe without having to show your face (if you’d rather not do that) like this style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMq1THeqGrI

• Or just shoot a 1-minute Tasty style video and do a similar voice over where you’re showcasing your personality by talking through the recipe.

• You could also record a quick in-person intro to put on the front of your Tasty style video.

I wouldn’t avoid voiceovers just because of the ADA stuff that’s going on. It’s really easy to add subtitles and @BethanySmith 's recent episode on Eat Blog Talk dives more into that: https://eatblogtalk.com/bethanysmith4/

There are a few other EBT episodes that talk more about creating video that you might find helpful!
Brita Britnell (ep 46) - Food videography
Billy Parisi (ep 61) - Food trends and video inspiration
And there is an episode with Veronika Grove from Veronika’s Kitchen coming out on 7/2 that covers Tasty Style videos specifically, so be sure to listen!

Let me know if there’s anything else you need help thinking through! I don’t consider myself a video expert, but could help you figure out a plan of attack with what you’re hoping to accomplish.

1 Like

Another aspect of this is showing your face more on social media and doing behind the scenes through Instagram and Facebook stories. That’s a great place for your audience to get to know the real you a bit more.

I think Tasty style videos are kinda by default not very personal, so if you have a different goal with your video, a different style is probably a better choice.

Yeah, there’s nothing about ADA that would say you couldn’t/shouldn’t do a voice over. Actually, this would be easier because then you can have something like Youtube or another service automatically transcribe or caption your words. If you don’t have words you will need to still develop a text-based alternative to explain what’s happening in the video. As Megan mentioned I talk about this in my podcast episode yesterday too!

THANK YOU so much. What a wonderful, detailed reply. I can not tell you how much I appreciate it. I am going to go checkout. the sites you recommend.

1 Like

THANK YOU so much Bethany, I can’t wait to go listen to your podcast. It is so nice to be a part of such a collaborative forum.

1 Like