Rank IQ question

Just listened to Megan’s last podcast episode and it got me thinking. How do you know when to write a dedicated post on a topic versus covering that question in your recipe post?
Example: Clam Chowder Recipe that also covers how to reheat clam chowder in the FAQs or is it beneficial to make a separate post on how to reheat clam chowder if according to RankIQ it has all the best numbers (low comp, fast to rank, etc…).

I think in that situation I would write the post on How to Reheat Clam Chowder and focus on that. People are searching to find out the best way to do that. Be really comprehensive on that, include as many reheating methods you can think of. And have your Clam Chowder recipe as a separate post, where you briefly mention how to reheat it and link to your post on How to Reheat Clam Chowder for more information.

Is there any unique aspects of your clam chowder? A different method or ingredient?

You are way more likely to be able to rank your post on “How to Reheat Clam Chowder” in the top of searches than just a recipe that includes that info.

Most of my blog posts aren’t recipes, they are answering questions like this and other non-recipe posts.

4 Likes

Great answer! You excel at non-recipe posts. Thanks for your response.

The way I determine whether or not to write a completely separate post is first by the numbers. If the competition score is crazy low (under 10) and search volume is relatively high (over 3k-ish) AND if it is a topic I know a lot about, I’ll create a separate post. Then I do everything Eric said.

If the numbers aren’t great, I’ll just use the keyword as an H2 inside my clam chowder post.

1 Like

I would say it’s a no-brainer if you are seeing low competition and a high search volume like that.

And as Megan points you need to know a lot about the topic. You want to have enough information to provide something for the average reader. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be a long post. I have short posts that are similar topics that do well, like a post focused on how to know when a pumpkin pie is done cooking. That one does so well the week of Thanksgiving. It’s not long at all, but covers everything I could think of.

1 Like