Preparing to leave my full time job

A couple of weeks ago I set an intention to leave my full time job by the fall break in September. I’m so excited, but of course a bit nervous at the same time. Even though we have quite a bit saved up, I’m still nowhere near making enough money in my business to replace my current income.

The issue I’m having at the moment is that I have so many things I’m working on, and I’m not sure where to focus my energy. In the past, I’ve made decent money doing VA work, and I’m still open to that if anyone needs help. Working with brands seems much harder in the UK than in North America, but I’d like to give that a try as well. I’m at about 20-25K monthly page views at the moment, so still seeking that traffic for better ad revenue. Then there’s the spiritual coaching and the podcast… Being a manifesting generator is hard work. :wink:

For those of you who have left your jobs recently, what did you focus on to make sure you would still have money coming in to cover your bills? I’d love any advice.

2 Likes

Congratulations Renee! That’s a big step towards making that shift and preparing mentally and then physically moving towards full time blogging. I know you and Megan chatted about mindset and how important that is. So you are on your way!

Have you written out your list of priorities needed for your personal and work life? That will help you to ruminate on it and really think about that one step that’s needed next, then the next and build a schedule, plan. If you plan out a bit and work your way backwards, you can really look at those things that you need to do big picture and then day to day to get where you want to be.

I’m sure many other bloggers out there can share good advice!!
Melissa

1 Like

@Renee Setting that intention for yourself is EXCITING! Yay!! I’m happy for you, but totally get where the nerves creep in, too.

I am a PRO at having my hands in way too many things, so I understand this dilemma all too well. I had a stretch a few years ago where I was experimenting with everything just to see what felt good AND what took off. Which things light you up the most AND bring in revenue? Choose your top 1-2 and put your focus there.

Traffic is a biggie for food bloggers, so continue to focus on that while you bring in revenue in other ways. It feels like you’re in that experimentation mode, which can feel SO overwhelming but it’s a necessary step. Without it, you can’t give certain revenue streams a definite “NOPE!”

Could you place a focus on traffic and VA work for a stretch and see how that goes? That wouldn’t stretch you so much that you’d have to neglect your podcast, either. Just some thoughts for you!!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback. I like the mindset of being in an experimental phase. I’m definitely going to take this all on board.