Pinterest only wants new pins now, oh great!

This is a clip from Mellisa’s email from Blog Clarity. I’m frustrated that Pinterest’s performance has been falling for me and now this! Any thoughts y’all?
++++++++++++++++++
Out of all the social media platforms, Pinterest is hands-down the most frustrating. And it wasn’t too long ago, Pinterest said two things that made people even more frustrated:

1. A new/fresh pin is now defined as a URL + the FIRST pin created for that URL . Previously, each new pin image + URL combination was a new/fresh pin. This is no longer the case.
  2. Pinterest has said they want images to NEW URLs pinned to Pinterest.

First, let’s break down what that means.

1. Fresh/new pins= URL + first pin for that URL. In the past, each time you made a new pin image for a URL (blog post, product, page) and pinned it, that would count as a fresh/new pin. At this point, we already knew Pinterest wanted these fresh/new pins, so content creators started making 10, 25, 50 pins all directing back to the same URL.

Not only was it tons of work (even with templates and a good process), I couldn’t help but think it felt spammy.

Apparently, Pinterest did too. Now, they define in a new pin as the first pin for a particular URL. That means, if you create 5 pins for a blog post and pin them to 5 boards, that’s 25 pins. One new/fresh pin and 24 duplicate pins.

2. Pinterest wants new URLs AND new/fresh pins. New URLs means NEW CONTENT. Like in the old days where people published a gazillion times a week. Pinterest essentially said they want Pinterest to be a place pinners discover new content, so they want content creators to pin new content to their platform.

Combined, this means: Pinterest wants bloggers and biz owners to work really, really hard churning out new content to share on their platform and will give the most search engine juice to a pin the FIRST time it’s pinned to Pinterest.

Um, that sounds like it’s not even worth bothering at this point. But there’s good news!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Pinterest Fresh Pins