Let's Chat Keyword Research!

There’s been a resurgence on keyword research and honing in on all it can do for all of our blogs.

Let’s take a poll -

Question #1 -
What are your top 1 or 2 keyword research tools?

Question #2 -
What do you find is your BIGGEST need within the topic of keyword research?
(ie: tutorial on using a specific product, tutorial on how to research in general, time needed, funds to pay for one, etc)

Share them below!

1 Like

1- RankIQ and Keysearch!
2- narrowing down to focus on the right keyword

Thank you @kickassbaker!

Alright, a few more people with feedback either with your current keyword tools that you could use some guidance, tips, etc OR you’re rocking it with what you have and you can share a little.

Love to hear from the group. This is a common area all food bloggers can use help on so we want to get some answers and experts on this for us.

Thanks!

I use Keysearch because it’s the most affordable, but I’m still not sure my strategy is correct. I generally search a very broad keyword, then filter for over 1000 views and under the competition score that keysearch recommended based on my domain authority. I then sort by volume and scroll through the remaining list to see if anything looks like a recipe I’d want to make.

For my own sanity, I try to strike a balance between creating recipes that people are actually searching for and that I can rank for, and recipes that I know my audience will actually want to make. The creativity is a big part of why I do this, and I’m not willing to give all of that over the Google. So I use it as a guide rather than letting it run my life. This is probably why my blog isn’t very successful, but it’s definitely helped me keep going for so long.

I’d love to hear other people’s strategy to see what I could be doing better.

For tools, I would add in Google itself. It is super important to check the search intent of the keyword you are considering.

It is such an important step, only takes a few seconds to do, but one that is really easy to forget.

When you find a keyword that has great volume, low difficulty score, everything looks great, then go to Google and search for that keyword.

If it is a recipe keyword, and a recipe carousel comes up at the top of the SERP, then you are good to go.

But if something else comes up on the Google page, maybe commercial intent (it is showing you shops to buy a product from) or a featured snippet, then Google might not think the keyword is a recipe keyword.

As an example, type in “cake” to Google, not a great example, but the first thing that popped into my mind. When I do that here in Australia, I see cake shops near me, I see a Wikipedia block and I also see a recipe carousel.

Google clearly has no idea what I mean when I search for “cake”.

Now if I change that to “chocolate cake recipe” the Google result page looks entirely different. There is a recipe carousel right at the top, no shops, no Wikipedia.

This final step is super important and one I see clients miss regularly. So I would add Google itself to the list of tools :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a super good point and actually a really good example. We have to change how we think because the user needs us to think it through and we need to prepare for Google or Pinterest or whatever platform we’re on.

Thank you for that!

Melissa

Hi Melissa!

I currently use Google Keyword Planner and Google itself. However, I just signed up for RankIQ today after hearing so many great things about it.

Since I just signed up for a new keyword research tool, my biggest need with keyword research in general since it’s not my strongest area, I would love a tutorial on HOW to use a specific product and just how to do keyword research because no one really explains it. :sweat:

1 Like

That’s a really good point. I think it’s easy to say its a good tool, but putting it to use is where you need practical help.

Good news! Dan Kinney shared on EBT TODAY his diving into using both Keysearch and RankIQ. Since Megan also is using those, they talked through very specific ways to use those tools individually and in tandem. Once you listen to this, come back and let us know your questions. We’ll get them answered!

I’m not as familiar with Google Keyword planner. But we use Google to verify keywords or search for more long tailed key words and also to learn what content our users want and need from us.

Hopefully we’ll get more bloggers to answer some of these questions!

Melissa