It finally happened

I moved to WP from SS sooner than I’d anticipated. We do not have things looking good by any means, but the third party code I’d been using FOREVER to create recipe cards suddenly stopped jiving with Squarespace, causing my page load time to be 5+ minutes.

After nearly 10 years of blogging I’m embarrassed to have my site looking the way it does currently. It is in rough shape. But my page speed is up! Ha! And we’re slowly making changes and moving in the right direction.

I think I just need someone to tell me it’s going to be ok. I feel like I’ve just been plopped into a foreign country where I don’t speak the same language as everyone else. It’s like I’m suddenly I’m a new blogger, a decade into the game.

It will be okay!

A few months from now you’ll look back, and it won’t seem as bad as it does now :slight_smile:

And, welcome to WordPress. Once you get over the initial shock, I’m sure you’ll like it much better. And the new editor (Gutenberg) is similar to Squarespace, so that part should work well.

There are also so many resources out there for WordPress, just Google anything and you’ll have an answer :slight_smile:

Two of my fav WP resources are:

and
(even if you don’t use Elegant Themes or Divi, it still has lots of info)

https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/

2 Likes

THANK YOU! I know it’ll be ok… definitely an initial shock!

Oh no, Megan! It will all be better soon - if you have any questions or need to vent let me know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Becca, I appreciate it!

If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone! I’m right there with you! I’m in the middle of making that switch right now. While it does add to our ever-growing list of things to do, learning this will inevitably make us better bloggers. And on the positive side, we benefit from learning from everyone else what not to do. :slight_smile: But never be embarrassed, this is all part of our journey. I am 100% certain you have an area of expertise that other ppl look up to. Hang in there, friend! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this! Sorry to hear you’re making a big switch, too. You’re right, though… better things are waiting for us on the other side and we’ll definitely be better bloggers because of it.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! :heart:

Congratulations! You’ll probably master Gutenberg before I do! And January is a great time to mess with your blog (especially in the midst of a pandemic!!). I’m sure you’ll have it ship shape soon. xoxo

2 Likes

You are going to love the block editors! Once you get the hang of it it’s super easy and quick. I love the ability to save custom blocks of HTML, (aka Convert Kit forms) and use them over and over with a click.

1 Like

Congrats! If you have troubles with WordPress, feel free to share. So many people to help.

1 Like