Is Facebook dead?

I have a VA helping out with putting consistent content onto my business FB page, but I’m wondering… Is it worthwhile? With the exception of the occasional FB-unicorn anomaly, I wonder if anyone finds FB to be a big party of their overall strategy anymore.

Thoughts?

It’s always so hard to differentiate what is platform-based vs niche-based. In my experience and niches (mainly sous vide, and food bloggers) I’ve found that food bloggers are no longer really on facebook, but a lot of cooks are.

For sous vide, I have a hugely active community (about 44,000 in my sous vide group one of the largest), and there are 4-6 other 20,000+ groups in the space. A quick search shows much larger groups in InstantPot, Vegan, Air Frying, etc. People show up for my live’s, contribute a ton of their own content, and really are involved.

For food bloggers, most people avoid my facebook group / page and tend to congregate on Instagram. From talking to most bloggers they also have stopped focusing on Facebook from a social media presence aspect.

I think there are a few reasons bloggers are leaving Facebook:

1. Many bloggers feel burned by Facebook and how they made their giant algorithm changes a few years back (we can also toss in privacy concerns, social issues, and all the other areas Facebook has a spotty track record)

2. Many bloggers focus on ad revenue and traffic, which facebook isn’t good at driving

3. Facebook isn’t “fun” for a lot of us (compared to sharing and commenting on Instagram, for example)

So I agree if your goal is traffic, then Facebook isn’t great.

But if your goal is to find fans then being involved in some of these groups is a great way to get your brand out there and really learn more about the problems people in your niche have.

It’s also so important to keep in mind that you are not your audience!! Where is your audience hanging out, where are they having conversations, where are they congregating?

If you write about cookie decorating, I’d question the decision to NOT be involved in the cookie decoration groups with 20,000, 50,000 or 70,000 members in them. Get involved, share information freely (not just links to your posts) and get known in the space. That’s what will drive book / course / cooking class sales.

3 Likes

This is such a great reply @jasonlogsdon …thank you!

Thank you @jasonlogsdon for such great insightful information!

I have pondered the use of FB a good bit lately too. My own page is crickets for reach thanks to FB. I have joined a few canning groups and try to answer questions with links to m post that explain. Canning is a small category on my site and it’s kind of more of a hassle than it’s worth. I have joined a few recipe groups but they seem to frown on just adding a recipe post.

I have contemplated creating a FB group just for party-themed food bloggers to share their posts on. A place where their readers can join to see other party bloggers, ask party-related questions, find recipes, party theme ideas, and so forth. The problem is I’m not sure how to get followers to join this other than other bloggers.

Gina

1 Like

It’s curious that they are both owned by the same Mark Zuckerberg and he can’t find a way to make people like FB like food bloggers seem to like IG. Personally, I don’t like IG much and don’t find it useful in my personal life vs work.

Whereas, as a consumer, I’m on FB and getting content that I can tap into like recipes, projects, decorating, etc. I think dabbling in some of them for your business without falling into the rabbit hole and wasting a lot of time is ok.

2 Likes