How do you remedy writers block?

Hey there! I would love ALL your tips on handling writers block!!

Like all of us here, I am sure we all have those tasks that we do and do not enjoy when it comes to blogging. Typing up recipes posts isn’t one of my favorite things to do. I would much rather be handling social media, working on my Pinterest, creating content, etc.

How do you all work through your writers block??

1 Like

I 100% struggle with this as well!

Personally, I have a really structured approach to my blog posts and I find that really helps. I have a template with a few different sections, so every time I start a blog post I copy over the template and I know exactly what topics I need to cover. Sometimes the sections change a little, but I try to stick to the general format. I think having a template really helps me with writers block because I don’t have to just sit staring at an empty page with no clue where to start.

If I’m feeling particularly out of ideas, I’ll often start with the easy sections like the FAQ or Recipe tips and then work my way up to writing the more “Story” part of the recipe.

In case it helps, here’s my general template:

• TITLE
  • Quick recipe summary (2-3 sentences)
  • Affiliate disclaimer
  • Inspiration for the recipe
  • Why Make this Recipe?
  • What Do I Need to Make this Recipe?
  • How to Make this Recipe
  • Expert Tips
  • Recipe FAQs

Good luck with your writers block and I hope this helps at least a little!

2 Likes

Journaling! Any time I encounter a block, I write about “nothing” as much as possible and that is a good way to get the juices flowing for me. I love @mayaskitchendaydream 's suggestions, too!

1 Like

Love this template idea! Also, when doing keyword research, include a few of the most searched questions about your recipe in your outline. So when you start writing your post you already have the H2’s and can just fill in the rest.

1 Like

These are all great ideas. I also like to give myself a couple of days to finish a post. If I’m feeling stuck I can write the basics the first day. After re-reading what I’ve written a day later I’m usually feeling more creative and the writing flows easier when it’s time to add the finishing touches.

2 Likes

This is what helps me. Just throw up sections of writing that needs to be done. Then take a minute away and then go back in and finish, I find it’s easier to compose the finishing touches with time away from it.

These are all great ideas @girlappetit! I hope you find something to help you.

1 Like

This is super helpful, thank you so much!!! you’re so right. Having a template is super helpful I am sure. I forgot that I had one available, I need to go back and revisit it!

1 Like

Yes!!! hahaha this is so true. I will have to try this out next time! Thank you @megan !

That’s a great idea!!

You are all giving me such amazing advice!! thank you so much!

I agree with so much that’s been said here. I have an outline/template for every post, so I’m not reinventing the wheel every time. There’s a formula, and that makes it easier. A good tip for any type of creative resistance is actually to take a break and do something completely different, preferrably something that does require a lot of brain power. Get up and go for a walk, take a shower, color or doodle while listening to instrumental music. Give your mind some space to let creativity flow through you again.

Also, take a little pressure off by reminding yourself that most people aren’t reading a lot of what you write anyway and are just skipping to the recipe. Most people won’t be judging your writing anywhere near as critically as you are judging yourself. So just start by getting some words on the page, then go back and edit once you get in the groove.