How do you keyword research?

Happy Thursday everyone!! I’d love to hear which platform you all use to do your keyword research PLUS one helpful tip about SEO that might spark something in someone who’s learning how to do it!

1 Like

Oooh, good question!

I know that Keysearch and RankIQ are biggies.

Can someone share something that they use outside of search volume and competitor keywords to focus on to narrow in on their key word research? Love to hear some other tips!

1 Like

I use Keysearch and have restarted using RankIQ. I have the Moz and Keywords Everywhere extensions on Chrome, too, that I use to check volumes and competitor DAs. I just started doing this, so am not a pro but it’s useful. I have taken Aleka’s Cooking with Keywords course, too, which is useful for understanding how to do keyword research. I find it helpful and go back to it often!

1 Like

If you are looking for keywords for pages that already exist ie. content republishing, Google Search Console (GSC) is often overlooked as a great source of keywords.

Sorting an individual page by Impressions instead of clicks will show you the keywords that have the most search volume.

You can find high volume keywords that Google thinks the page is somewhat related to, but the page has not been optimized for so they do not rank well enough to get a meaningful number of clicks.

Check the difficulty of the keywords you find with something like Keysearch to make sure it is in range of your site, republish the page, update internal links and watch the keyword climb through the rankings! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am curious about RankIQ. Since they don’t offer a trial or even a preview I am very hesitant to sign up for another paid subscription. Is it worth it?

1 Like

@austrianwithwuff I would love to know this too!! Hey @megan , any insight on this?

I’m new to keyword research. I use KeySearch since it’s the most affordable. I also make a note of what time of year gets the highest traffic for the keyword to help plan my content throughout the year.

1 Like

@Renee yes!! I just started using keysearch yesterday, actually. I go between keysearch and keywords everywhere.

That’s very smart of you, to note what time of year gets the highest traffic for certain keywords. That’s something I need to get into as well.

I recently started using the Hoth.

They have a search function where you can enter a URL and they’ll tell you what keywords the url ranks for as well as if the ranking has changed in the last month. (The HOTH Login - The HOTH)

It’s a free tool and I find it really helpful for looking at what key words I rank well for.

They also have a keyword search function which is useful when you’re doing SEO research to figure out what terms to focus on.

The other thing that I’ve been trying to do recently is focusing on three key words, a small, a medium and a large. The smallest is normally low traffic but something I should be able to rank for pretty easily. The medium is something I’m aiming to rank for but I might not get in the top 4-5 on my first try. And then the large on is something that has a ton of volume and is more competitive.

Well @kickassbaker just gave me a tour of RankIQ and I am sold. It’s a month to month subscription. If you are planning on signing up, they do have an affiliated program. (Is it wrong to use each other to make some $ :rofl: )

Posted my first blog post yesterday using RankIQ as a guideline and its on google already. Spot 2 !!!

2 Likes

WHAT?!?! omg that is absolutely incredible!!