How Are You Helping Your Readers?

Interesting times we’re in! Just like the pivot that we all had to do in early 2020, we’re at a spot where we can help our readers again manage the increase in food prices and all the things that our communities are dealing with.

Saw this article and thought it was a good idea to start sharing these types of suggestions that we know about but maybe aren’t conveying to our readers consciously.

1. Make more plant based dishes
  2. Stretch key ingredients
  3. Do a little extra work
  4. Shop in bulk
  5. Choose store brands

What could you add to the list?

1 Like

Hi,
You raised a great topic.
As for reducing cost, maybe the solution is not to buy in bulks or at lower prices. Although bulk buying would be a great way for big families to save a few bucks.

You would also be surprised to know that nearly 30 to 50% of fruits and vegetables (and food in general) go to waste. Factoring in the waste, the food costs more than the purchased price per unit.

The solution I am going to suggest might seem expensive at first sight but it’s going to pay off in the long run.

“We can make foods and fruits last longer” by freeze-drying them. Freeze-dried fruits can last up to 7 years on the shelf in mylar bags. Freeze-dried foods can last the same. The good part is that we can freeze dry almost anything, from dinner leftovers to a whole meal.

This will help maintain the costs by making use of food scraps and reducing the number of times we visit grocery stores.

This is a good topic you raise! It actually reminds me, I’ve been meaning to do a Cook Local Eat Local podcast episode about how eating local food can save money. I will bump it up on my content list!

1 Like

Currently I am focusing on simple recipes that can be made with pantry staples (as in staples someone with celiac or on a gluten-free diet has at home). I also started to share some egg-free recipes. I am not sure if it is the price of eggs or what happened, but so many people request egg-free recipes.

I worked for a company for a while that sourced everything we sold within 400 miles of Chicago. Sounds like a great idea and like it would help safe money but I have to be honest, our products were 25% to 50% more expensive than the products from the big guys. Mainly because we tried to pay our farmers a fair amount for the products. Customers did not really understand this and would rather go to the big guys.

That’s hard because while you may want to source locally, at the end of the day, if you can’t afford it, you will look elsewhere. Very rarely do we take the time to think if we should not buy something or less of something too and still source local. It’s a big topic and so many nuances!

Sorry to ask,
Didn’t your products carry a label that said where the product was sourced from?
Research shows that 72% of consumers don’t trust company claims about being green or sourcing from local farms.

But I believe if consumers trust the brand they will more certainly pay the premium. Because in a survey, most people “felt were responsible for the environment”.