HELP! What photo equipment do I absolutely need?

My boyfriend has a pretty new Nikon camera that I’d like to use to take my photos.

I have spent hours trying to figure out what I absolutely need to take somewhat decent pictures in my apartment with artificial lighting, but there are so many options. I just launched my blog so I don’t want to spend lots of money on equipment right away until I’m actually making money, and I don’t have much room for equipment.

This blog post (https://saltpepperskillet.com/resources/flash-food-photography-reasons/) by Salt Pepper Skillet says this is recommended as a “starter kit”:

• Godox TT600 Speedlite Flash
  • Godox Xpro-N TTL Wireless Flash Trigger Transmitter for Nikon
  • Neewer 75″ Photography Light Stand
  • Godox S-type Bracket Bowens Mount Holder for Speedlite Flash
  • Godox 24″x24″/ 60cmx60cm Portable Collapsible Softbox

All of this is still hundreds of dollars. I could spend that, but I also want to see what I can get away with on a smaller budget. Has anyone tried to just use a ring light for still photography and had good results? I’m considering getting this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3HGX1P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AHFGGDPINJXNW&psc=1

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Michelle from eatlikeyoureonvacation

I’m a minimalist when it comes to photography, so I’ve always used bare minimum equipment. My personal philosophy is… save your money for nice cameras and lenses and skimp on everything else.

I use natural light 99% of the time. I used to play around with artificial lighting and used a tabletop light much like the ring light you linked to. It worked great! If you have to go artificial, I recommend starting with something like that and upgrading as you see fit.

Everyone has a different preference and style and also different priorities with their food photography and you’ll figure it all out as you go. My advice: start small! The sun is free! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Megan! I think I’ll save up for a nicer lense first. I might just have to spend more time in Lightroom to get the brightness just right, but that’s okay with me for now.

Speaking of Lightroom… are there any presets you recommend?

I wish I could rely on the sunlight, but I work a full time job so most of the time I spend on my blog is in the evenings.

1 Like

Definitely utilize the powers that lie within Lightroom! I usually create my own presets just by doing little tweaks, usually involving brightness, contrast and vibrance.

Oh yeah, shooting at night doesn’t really align with shooting in natural light… :frowning:

1 Like