Gutenberg block template for blog post?

@megan I have been consuming so much content between here and clubhouse. Problem is I can’t remember where I hear things. Who said she created a reusable Gutenberg block to start a post template. I really want to do this but would like so listen and see some more ideas first
gina

5 Likes

Did you hear Madison Wetherill talking about this on The Vine Podcast? Recently she has been talking about Gutenberg blocks and has mentioned creating a template a few times.

Anyway, you can create a reusable block as a blog template. When you start a new post, add the block, then convert it from reusable to a regular block. Then you can make whatever changes you need to.

What I have been doing is similar, but I have a blog template in my drafts. When I’m going to create a new post, I copy the content and paste it into the new post and update it.

1 Like

I need to do this, too! Right now I’m moving all classic posts to Gutenberg one by one. Too many issues with a bulk transfer. Done with 1/10th of my posts after a couple of weeks!

I’d love to see a video of someone setting up reusable blocks. I’m going to see if I can find a demo.

Having a template saves a lot of time. I currently don’t use it in WordPress, because I start writing in Google docs and then transfer to WordPress. I do use a google doc template, so I make sure to include all my sections of a block post. It’s quite easy once you copy it into the block editor.

Creating a Reusable Template in Gutenberg WordPress Editor - YouTube This video gives a quick guide on how to make it if you prefer using it.

I do agree that reusable blocks will help you be faster. You could create a template for example a call to action block, email signup.

2 Likes

Nadja, this is exactly what I was looking for. I already had ultimate blocks loaded on my site! I like their table of contents and now I will be using their container block. Thank you so much!

Gina

@Ginainga I have been THE SAME lately! I’m in a constant state of information overload. I remember hearing this on Clubhouse, too, but cannot think of who was saying it. Glad @nbelgrave jumped in to help. Like @amykatz mentioned, Madison from @graceandvine has a resource coming out on this topic, too!

1 Like

thanks @amykatz !

@Ginainga that sounds like me :slight_smile: My course is open if you are interested in learning more about mastering Gutenberg and learning how to create that template! https://www.graceandvinestudios.com/simplify

3 Likes

I highly recommend whatever @graceandvine suggests! She’s awesome!

Also I create a template a little differently. Once you have an outline that you know you like, just create a post. I call mine “Blog Post Template”. Save it as a draft and then scroll down on the right hand side to “Tools”. Click on “Copy all content”. Create a new post> right click> click “paste” and your template will be there to use for the next post.

Hopefully that was clear and helps! [screen shots attached below]

2 Likes

Lori, this is what I do, too!

1 Like

THANK YOU! I couldn’t figure it out myself, so hopefully with your guidance, I will be able to make a template!

1 Like

@Liz let me know if you have any more questions - happy to help!

1 Like

@LoriMurphy Thanks for sharing your process. I bought Madison’s Gutenberg class but I haven’t made it to the create a blog post template yet.

1 Like

Sure thing! Happy to help! It makes it so much easier and faster as well.