FB advertising/traffic

I have a VA helping run the FB side of my business and she does a great job of posting engaging questions and fun graphics, etc, so engagement seems to be doing ok. She sprinkles in some of my videos and photos occasionally, as well, but those get almost no traction. I’ve experimented with FB ads in the past but just haven’t had time to dedicate to figuring it out.

My question is… who here has been successful with FB ad campaigns (or boosts) and how much time did you invest in figuring it out? I feel like doing really well on FB requires so much time, energy and money. Any tricks or insight from anyone or are most food bloggers feeling that FB rut (that seems to be lasting years and years)?

Karli from @cookingwithkarli generously shared her golden nugget about utilizing FB groups to drive traffic (this tip truly is gold!), but I know there’s more to tap into and just can’t quite figure it out…

I’ve experimented with Boosts which take about 5 minutes to set up. You can set up your price parameters based on how much you want to spend. The most I’ve done is $25 over the course of a weekend.
It definitely drives ‘some’ additional clicks but ends up costing on average about $0.03/click. (that’s been my experience).
I think it depends how you look at it. For someone newer to blogging, I found it helpful to obtain additional followers because let’s face it, the daily posts just aren’t getting the reach.
You can also identify the location and demographic to target which is really cool. If you utilize google trends. For example, In August when Peach Cobbler is trending, you can use Google Trends to see specifically which area/state is searching the most and then target the boosted Facebook post ONLY TO THAT STATE. Narrow down the age demographics based on your Google Analytics and Pinterest demographics, which should in theory line up right?
Having said that, Facebook Groups in your specific niche at the right time have potential to drive 1,000 more traffic without spending money. They do take time as you have to set up the posts.
Also, some groups are set up so that if someone likes your post on the group. you can click on the ‘like’ button and invite them to LIKE YOUR PAGE. (most are not set up this way though).
I heard (I think it was Chef Dennis) say that he paid for an ad around $5/day to promote EMAIL SIGNUPS for his blog and had some significant success with that.
I think for a viral trend or wildly popular seasonal item, I would try the boost again.

1 Like

@Shes_Not_Cookin GREAT insights, wow! I love the idea of promoting email signups, too. Another thing to put on the to-do list. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: