Favorite business books?

I stole this question from @megan!

What are some of your favorite books that have helped you with your business?

And do you like reading hard copies, digitally, or listening to audio?

For me, “Storybrand” by Donald Miller is one of my favorites.

Also, it’s an old book but “Pour Your Heart Into It” by Howard Schultz of Starbucks is one of my all-time faves. It talks about the beginning of Starbucks and how they tried to create community and a “third place” and so much more! I’ve read it several times.

I read on digitally or hard copy. I probably prefer a hard copy, but it’s much easier digitally as I have it everywhere I go!

1 Like

I am writing up an EBT episode about this, so very timely question! I agree that Storybrand is a must-read for anyone really wanting to see their business with a new set of eyes.

A few of my favorites that have been game changers for me are below. Some aren’t necessarily geared toward business, but the concepts talked about inside definitely helped me with my business:

• Atomic Habits by James Clear
  • These three are written by different authors but are a powerful group of three (with very common themes): 4-hour work week, 5 hour work day, The 12-week year
  • Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
  • The One Thing by Gary Keller
  • The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
1 Like

I’m reading "The Artist’s Way" right now! I’ve listened to an interview with Julia Cameron on Russel Brand’s podcast, and Julia is truly excellent. I’ll definitely try all the methods she’s recommending.

I agree with "The One Thing", I return to it every year. I have a “shiny object” syndrome, so this book is a life-saver :smiley:
“Building a Storybrand” - I enjoyed this one, but what really helped me understand storytelling is "Storynomics : Story-Driven Marketing in the Post-Advertising World" by Robert McKee.

Other random books I love:

• “Keep Going” and “Show your Work” by Austin Kleon (it’s aimed at creators, but it’s super-relevant to business peeps in general as well)
  • “This is Marketing” by Seth Godin. This is my go-to book, I love it. Quoting Seth, “Marketing is the generous act of helping others become who they seek to become.". His podcast (called “Akimbo”) is excellent.
  • "The war of Art" by Steven Pressfield. It talks about all the forms of resistance faced by creatives and entrepreneurs, who are trying to break through creative barriers. Any time I feel “stuck” or discouraged, I go back to this one.
  • “Primalbranding: Create Belief Systems that Attract Communities” by Patrick Henlon. Even though I worked in branding/visual identity field for years, this book helped me in getting “the whole picture”.

In general, I read books on my Kindle - but that’s mainly due to high shipping costs to Poland. But if I really enjoy the book (and I feel that I’ll be returning to it) - I buy a hard copy.

Audiobooks don’t work for me, because I love taking notes. I listen to stuff when I cook, so taking notes is out of the question :smiley: Podcasts work better.

1 Like

@Kasia, such great suggestions!

I think anything by Seth Godin is a classic. I need to re-read some of his!