Blog updating process question (podcast 179 follow-up)

Enjoyed listing to the recent podcast 179 about updating blog posts. That’s been a big focus of mine over the past year.

One follow-up question I have regarding process: when you identify a post that has potential to benefit from a thorough overhaul (i.e remake recipe, new photos, as well as making some improvements to the text), do you wait to do the whole process for that blog all at once? Or if there’s a piece you can do quickly, such as adding a recipe card if there isn’t one, do you do a quick fix and come back later for a big update.

My tendency has been for posts that I plan to fully overhaul is to do it all at once. But it can take a good amount of time to get around to making reach recipe I want to update…so wondering if there’s a reason to wait on some of the quicker fixes.

2 Likes

Hey @CookingChat great question! I have been doing nothing outside of overhauling recipes/posts, so I have some thoughts about this.

I make my changes in stages and typically not all at one time. I overhaul and republish 5 recipes/week. The week prior, I comb through the following week’s 5 recipes and take care of updating copy, doing keyword research, adding FAQs, etc. Then the day of republishing I add new photos (if needed) and give the post a new date.

From what I’ve learned, it doesn’t hurt to do little changes when you can. You’re right… doing everything at once can take a lot of time and it’s overwhelming! Try breaking the process down into smaller pieces to see if it is any less overwhelming.

I hope that helps! And I’d love to hear other thoughts on how other bloggers move through the process of updating old content!

That makes sense! When you make smaller changes do you not change the “last modified date” with the plugin for that?

1 Like

Nope! I only change last modified when I’m making sweeping changes.

1 Like

OK, I have a silly question…

When doing updates, how do you do it without reverting blog posts into a draft or republishing all over again, if you’re doing updates? I mean, I won’t really have time to re-do a blog posts even one at a time, so how do you go in there to make updates without it messing up the status and dates? Am I making sense?

Also, is it OK to update or should I not touch a post that’s ranking high on search? Which I’m not even sure why it is, when the layout could use some improvements.

Thanks for the help!

There are two things I do that might speak to this…I use the Yoast Duplicate Post plugin when I am doing a big overhaul of a post. It makes a working copy that you can edit without changing what is published currently, until you are ready to publish the edited version – it replaces the old one at the original url. Very handy!

Then there is a “limit modify date” plugin that you can use. When you check this option off when editing, it won’t change the published or modified date.

3 Likes

Thank you for that @CookingChat. I will look into this. And since it’s replacing the same URL, it’s not messing up SEO, correct? And I take it that it does so (replaces the same URL) automatically…

I just took a peek at my posts…so I see a “Clone” and a “Rewrite & Republish” - - which of the two do I click on to do what you said about updating a duplicate post?

Also, if I have a post that is ranking high for page impressions, would you recommend me updating that post too or just leaving it alone?

Thank you so much!

Sorry for my slow reply, missed the notification initially.

Yes, this process is good for SEO, assuming the updated content is an improvement! You want to use the “Rewrite & Republish” for this.

I’ve always heard people say if you are ranking in the top 2 or 3 in Google for the search term you want to leave it alone…also if you are a bit lower down but it generates good traffic, same thing. For instance, my top traffic driving post I’m on page 1 for a lot of frequently used search terms, but not in the top slots. So I leave that alone.

1 Like

Thank you so much for that @CookingChat. Time for me to get busier! :slight_smile: