Beyond hands in pans

As we launch into a new year my creative wheels are spinning when thinking about how to approach video differently. Am I the only one totally tapped out on hands-in-pans style recipe videos?

Who is branching out? What are some new elements to throw into recipe videos?

My thoughts: experimenting with different flavors of music and using more of a video in motion (like with a gimbal).

I have never experimented with creating hands-in-pans video, and honestly am very uncertain about whether I want to invest the resources to learn to create them at this point. Don’t get me wrong, I believe they still have value, but how much I don’t know – and, crucially, there’s no real differentiation between my producing one myself and paying someone else to do it, as long as the quality is there. So, yes, I am more intrigued by the idea of experimenting with “video in motion” as you describe it – I’ve thought about doing this for a series of sort of “food lifestyle” videos. Topics might be why I use/love certain delivery services, how meal planning works in my family, certain green kitchen practices we’ve adopted, that type of thing. Of course I have no idea how to put those into practice, but if I had unlimited time/learning resources, that’s the kind of video I would focus on today!

Monica, I love the concept of documenting why you love delivery services, etc. Food bloggers don’t do these types of videos enough and I can see where users would find them so helpful!

Megan, your podcast episode #059 inspired me to look for artistic ways to approach food videos and rich media.

Here are some videos/gifs I really like:
https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/fall-table-decor-ideas-262832

Every time I see a video I really like on Instagram I save the image to a collection in Instagram (e.g. “food videos”) and then it’s easy to revisit later when I need inspiration.

These are SO inspiring! I’m at a crossroads with video creation and I sooo badly want to create something unique, different and beautiful. Thanks for sharing these!

1 Like

I’m struggling with this topic right now. I’m a new-ish blogger, 1 year in. So I’m still focusing heavily on content creation. I would like to add video to some of my recipes that maybe rank in page 2 to hopefully move them to page 1 but don’t have the bandwidth right now to do anything too complex. Would hands in pans videos for few recipes just to get started be helpful for a new blogger? I totally agree though that with time, it’s nice to create something that stands out, that has some unique individuality. I saw a recipe from Pinch of Yumm where they are using video segments to showcase specific instructions in the recipe. I thought that was unique. Sometimes as a reader of recipes, I’m unclear on one step so that helps instead of having to watch long video just to look for few seconds to clarify something.

1 Like

My opinion is that ANY video you can add to your existing content is going to improve its value. If all you have bandwidth for is a quick hands in pans, then I say go for it! From there you can learn and grow and figure out how to put your unique stamp on video content. I love the idea of using video segments to showcase specific parts of the instructions. That is both unique AND valuable!

2 Likes

To add to this, I’ve been questioning if video really has the affect that it once did. I don’t see it growing my social media numbers because it’s so widely used now. I’m mainly using it for SEO purposes, but I also have a few strongly ranking posts that don’t contain video.

2 Likes

I so hear you on this @mamagourmand. There was that stretch of time a few years ago where adding video to your posts was like MAGIC. Then everyone started doing it and it wasn’t magic anymore, but still valuable. I do still think it’s valuable, but more for the user (which is what our focus SHOULD be, right @BethanySmith??) Video is so much more mainstream that we don’t seem to be rewarded much by the different platforms anymore.

So I guess the bigger question is… What’s next? What trend can we get on top of that adds value and that will also have that magic for a time?

2 Likes

Yes, what do the users want in a blog post?

So, my view on this is probably a little controversial :joy: And I don’t necessarily have the stats to prove it like I do for many things I say…but…

If I’m a user and I want a video on how to make a recipe, I’ll likely go to YouTube or search for a video. If I’m searching for a recipe and find a food blog with a video added, it’s often like , eh, not worth my time.

Of course, this depends. Sometimes if it’s a complicated recipe, I might want a video, but rarely it’s not really adding enough value.

So, my two cents, or one and a half cents, is that if you are making videos, you should prioritize adding them to Facebook and YouTube. Of course, if you have a video, you should add it to your blog post, but using it there as the main place/reason may not be worth the effort.

2 Likes