A 2020 WIN! Here's to 2021 cleanup

The recent Google core update did not favor my site. :neutral_face: It took a while to tell, but once it started, Google traffic started dropping off quickly. I dug back into my blog post spread sheet of nearly 1,000 blog posts and continued combing through everything. I have gone through my content at least 8 times over the past 2 years, but this time I did some major weed-pulling and finally have a handle on this madness! Here are my numbers:

159 ORIGINAL RECIPE - NO CHANGES NEEDED
130 REPUBLISHED RECIPE - NO CHANGES NEEDED
252 NEEDS UPDATING (NO NEW PICS NEEDED)
69 NEEDS UPDATING (NEW PICS NEEDED
146 NO INDEX
27 ROUNDUP POST
3 NON-RECIPE POST
3 GUEST POSTS
200 DELETED

That’s 289 posts that are GOOD TO GO! :clap:
321 need to be updated. ugh.
346 have been no-indexed or deleted.
My goal is to have ALL content in pristine condition by the end of 2021. I don’t plan to create a single bit of new content in 2021.

It’s still clearly a mess, but for the first time in 10 years I see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! It’s a 2020 WIN!

3 Likes

Since I’m only 14 months in, I think I don’t have to do much updating right now. I sure would like to convince my son to do videos in 2021, though. That’s the goal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh my goodness! What a lot of work! I feel for you but I’m sure your site will better than ever when you are done!

1 Like

I love that idea, @24bite !!

Thanks @linda and yes, I agree! I have A LOOOOTTTT of work ahead, but I cannot even imagine having a cleaned-up site. :partying_face: :partying_face:

You got this, Megan!! You’ll feel awesome and so accomplished once you finish all of them.

1 Like

Thanks @nbelgrave I appreciate the encouragement! Can’t wait to report back that I’m done. :tired_face:

A daunting task!! I have 1780 posts!! Yikes. I love the way you divided your list—I’ll see if I can figure out how to find each category. Happy holidays, everyone!!!

1 Like

@Liz 1780, WOW!!! I’d be curious to see your breakdowns, too.
Happy holidays to you, Liz! :heart:

1 Like

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year, Megan! Celebrating my oldest’s birthday today>

How did you sort your categories? I’ve been poking around, but not sure the best way to accomplish this.

1 Like

@Liz There might be a way to do this in WP but if there is I’m not aware of it. I painstakingly labeled and counted each category in my Spreadsheet of Blogging Wonder and I update it every time I make a change to a blog post. For 1780 blog posts, I can’t imagine this would be a quick and easy process!

2 Likes

Wow! That seems like a huge undertaking, but also a bit freeing in not having to come up with any new content!

My blog is just over a year old, so I will be pounding out new content. I did have an audit in September and I have about 15 blog posts to re-publish that were my first ones and are terrible SEO wise. I’m going to try to do one a week until they are done along with 2 new posts a week. Then I will increase to 3 new ones a week when the old ones are cleaned up.

3 Likes

@deannah Awesome, nice work going through the old stuff, too! It’s gratifying to update old posts, even if they’re not super old. You’ve got this!!

8 days after posting this, I went from having 321 posts to update to 298!!! Somehow it just feels so good to be under 300. PROGRESS!

3 Likes

Great to hear you are making progress and you have a plan in place. I am sorry to hear that the Core Update was not good for you. I have so many posts that need updating as well. I have been doing mine by the month - hence in January, I would update posts that I did in a previous January. Since I have a seasonal focus it’s easier that way since the ingredients I need are available. I might consider not doing new content as well unless it’s directly to try and increase affiliate sales or for a sponsored post.

1 Like

LOL, yeah, that sounds like a lot of work! But congrats on getting a plan for updating your posts! Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet! xo

1 Like